Designed in collaboration with Toronto Public Health, this course will discuss the basics of communicable diseases and recommendations for protecting and promoting health for yourself and your clients.
Topics include responding to Public Health alerts in the Shelter Management Information System (SMIS); identifying the links in the chain of transmission; performing adequate hand hygiene and caring for your hands; selecting, putting on and removing personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriately; differentiating between Latent Tuberculosis Infection (LTBI) and Active Tuberculosis Disease, including symptoms and risks; be aware of reportable Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI) and learn about harm reduction and overdose prevention tools and strategies.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to...
- Recognize and respond to Public Health alerts posted in the Shelter Management Information System (SMIS)
- Identify the links in the chain of transmission of communicable diseases
- Perform adequate hand hygiene to help prevent the transmission of communicable diseases
- Select the appropriate type of personal protective equipment (PPE) for a task that requires protection
- Put on and remove personal protective equipment (PPE) using proper techniques
- Differentiate between Latent Tuberculosis Infection (non-communicable) and Active Tuberculosis Disease (communicable).
- Understand the most common sexually transmitted infections
- Discuss harm reduction and overdose prevention principles, programs and resources
It will take approximately six hours to finish this self-paced course. To obtain proof of completion, all course requirements must be completed within 30 days of enrolment.
*Please note that this course is free of charge for THTC mandated agencies and those working within the homeless sector in the City of Toronto. To request a voucher, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*This course makes use of material from Khan Academy, a non-profit educational organization that is not affiliated in any way with THTC. All Khan Academy materials are available for free at www.khanacademy.org